- I’m sorry.
- Nothing: (Sixty seconds of silence)
- May I take care of that? (and take the tissue out of their hands and give them a fresh one and throw it away and wash your hands)
- This is hard.
- Yes, I remember that time.
- I don’t know. . whether pets are in heaven . . . why this happened . . .when you will wake up.
- I’m going to call for help.
- I’m going to sit here. (or over there).
- Here’s some coffee. (or coke. Or a milkshake.) and here’s some almonds. (or cheese, or protein).
- Go ahead, I know you need to talk to them. I’ve fine.
- I’ll be back tomorrow.
- Can I go with you to talk to an expert on this?
10 simple phrases when visiting in the first hours after a death.